Friday, March 7, 2014

The One Where I Am With Him, I Am Heard {Psalm 130}

So the other day on She Reads Truth, they invited the readers to write a blog about the passage of the day.   Last year I read Psalms of Ascent with them and I have lots of notes about it.  Last year was somewhat of a profound time in my life and this year there are lots of changes.  It feels as though these days, like David, I cling to His Word.

Psalm 130

Out of the depths…. I have been there, more times than I care to count.  When I was first saved and many other times in my life.  There have been days, nights, weeks, go by where I'm on my knees, not able to utter words.  From my own depravity, out of circumstances of life, things out of my control, waiting on another for forgiveness.

Depths.  I've seen them.  I've been in the ocean and in caverns.  On lakes and in valleys.

And David makes this turn (if you will) rather than being bent down, he's standing. This question.  Who shall stand?  It's not asking who shall stand, it's telling you he's standing.  Why? Because with God is forgiveness. And he knows this. He knows it, sure as the sun will rise.   As sure as Goliath is slain, as sure as battles fought and won, as sure as he danced with the Ark.  He.Knows.It.

And he waits.  He waits with certainty.  With more certainty than night watchmen in his army, who serve the King dutifully.   Now he waits, dutifully.  Too often I don't have that kind of certainty.  Too often, I'm sure I'll wear the dunce hat in the corner of heaven, sure I'm saved but I'm not always so sure of this sanctification.  Too often I'm found with thoughts of "whosoever" doesn't include me.  Too often I don't have that kind of patience, or faith.  O ye…. Anyone else who feels this is their given name?

Over the years I've learned this O ye of little faith, still implies faith!  Though it's not large, it's not moving mountains, it's steady.  Everyday I place my trust in The Lord. And if I'm a smidgen like David I'll have the sense to call out God (Jehovah) and God (Adonai) in so few words.   Seven times in eight verses.

Then he says Israel, hope in the Lord!  For with the Lord is steadfast love, with him there is plentiful redemption.  He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Israel, is us.  It's you and me.  It's the "whosoevers" of the world.  And I comforted that I am with Him. Although I know he could crush me in His hand, it's the safest place to be.  With Him.

The study guide in my bible say this:

This is an individual lament, expressing penitence and trust in God's mercy.  The penitential element is geared toward helping worshippers see themselves as forgiven people, who's only right to enter God's presence lies in His mercy.

I like Matthew Henry, one day I will read his entire commentary, although it feels over the years I have.   I like what he says about this Psalm:

Whatever condition we are in , though ever so deplorable, to continue calling upon God.  The best of men may sometimes be in the depths.  But in the great depths, it is our privilege that we may cry unto God and be heard.



No comments:

Post a Comment