Wednesday, October 30, 2013

#shereadstruth Day 13

Wise Women.

I have a few women I confide in, a few older women I will go to for sage advice. I don't exactly have parents, so I've adopted and been adopted by a sweet older couple who I go to often, particularly about parenting decisions.  They've been in my shoes, I consider them wise.

I have a few friends who say I'm the wisest person they know.... I think they need to get out more! Surely there are others wiser than me. 

I try to obtain knowledge on a variety of topics, only because I have enough life going on that I need to depend on those who are wiser.  I read books.  The Bible, Blogs, Books.  Mostly on relationships.  Improving mine.  My Parenting, My Marriage, The Voice in my Head that tells me I'm doing it all wrong. 

So I read.  I'm not that good at reading. I'm dyslexic and it makes reading challenging.  Which is why I use a dictionary, several dictionaries, all the time.  I like lexicons and old English dictionaries.  I like to get to the root of the matter.

Speaking of Roots.  Let's lay some down.

Wise                                                               Jealousy
Understanding                                                Strife
Good Conduct                                                Disorder
Meekness of Wisdom
Peaceful
Gentle
Open to Reason

Just gonna focus on a few of these today.

Understanding: epistemon - Intelligent, Experienced

Root: epistamai -
To put ones attention
To fix ones thoughts on
to understand, to know.

Meekness: prayles - noun  Mildness of disposition

Root: prays
Stems from the trust of Gods goodness and control over the situation

The gentle person who is not occupied with self.  This is a work of the Holy Spirit and not of human will.  This is actually in the definition notes.
Comments on jealousy and envy.  The ESV uses jealousy, but the word in greek is envy.  Lets look at this for a moment.

Jealousy:  This is a fear based emotion.  A fear of rejection.  I "fear" you because of who you are, I feel displaced.

Webster 1828: A passion of a peculiar uneasiness which arises from the fear that a rival may rob us of the affection of one whom we love.   Nearly allied to envy, for jealousy, is before "a good" is lost, is converted to envy after being obtained by others.

Envy:  Also fear based emotion.  A comparison fear.  I "fear" you because of what you have.  Better relationships, possession, skills. 

Webster 1828:  A feeling of uneasiness at the (supposed) superior condition, prosperity and happiness of another.

Zelos - Noun Zeal on behalf of a person or a thing.  Fierce indignation, contentious rivalry.
Root: Zeo  Boiling Anger.


Disorder: akatastasia - noun  Instability, A state of disorder, Disturbance, Confusion
Root: akatastatos - adj. Unstable.  Inconstant.  Restless.
used once.  James 1:8 a double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

This makes me chuckle just a tad, as it reminds me of my kiddo in his younger days of Thomas the Train obsession!  "you are causing confusion and delay"  And in searching that comment I came upon some interesting info about Autism Spectrum and Thomas the Train.  Get to know my kiddo a little better while I study James.  Hmmmm... Ask God for wisdom... He doesn't fail to respond!

I also thing it's interesting that the last verse places righteousness before peace.... God is indeed a God of order.

There's a little nugget tucked into Romans 14:17 .... the kingdom of God is not...
but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. 

There is no peace without right standing.  Right Standing isn't a fruit.  It's your position.  It's who you are, through who's you are.  The righteousness of God through Christ Jesus (Rom 3:22 & 2 Cor 5:21)

Without righteousness there is no peace.  If you don't understand your position, you will not live in peace. 

I don't have to hope for wisdom or understanding.  I need in meekness (trust in God's goodness)to ask for wisdom. Don't live in fear and disorder.   I don't bear fruit without being in position.  Right Standing.  Trusting in God's goodness is wise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment