Sunday, October 27, 2013

She Reads Truth Day 11

Taming The Tongue.

I relate to this post.  It's a struggle.  Some days I'm better than others at staying positive, being kind, tenderhearted.  I get the sentiment: Something has to change, worse yet, I'm powerless to change.

James 3:2 For we all stumble in many ways….

Stumble: ptaio - verb
To err, to make a mistake, to sin
Root: pipto - verb
To fall down

James 3:9-10 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. From the same mouth come blessing and cursing.  My brothers (sisters), these things ought not be so.

Indeed. *sigh*

Bless - not the same as blessing on Day 4 Markarios (happy) but similar as in the opposite isn't unhappy, but curse.

Eulogeo - verb  (as in eulogize)
To praise, celebrate with praise, invoke blessing
Root 1) eu - to be well off, fare well, prosper
Root 2) logos - speech

Good Speech

Curse: katara - noun.
an execration, imprecation, curse

hmmm I need more than that so I go to the 1828 Noah Websters Dictionary:

Curse: To utter a wish of evil against one, to call for mischief or injury to fall upon.

These things ought not to be so.

Ephesians 4:29-32 let no corrupt talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as it fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.  And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.  Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.  Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.

But before that Paul says…. put off your old self an be renewed in the spirit of your mind….

Renew ananeoo - verb
to renew (in the mind)
This is the only verse this word is used.

In Thayers Lexicon the notes state:
Denotes from a lower place to a higher place.
Corresponds to the Latin and German indicating the goal
Denotes repetition, renewal, anew, over again

Be Kind - chrestos - adj
fit, fit for use, useful
    virtuous, good
managable
    mild, pleasant (as opp to hard, harsh, sharp, bitter)

Matt 11:30 Amp
For My yoke is wholesome (useful, good.  Not harsh, hard, sharp or pressing. but comfortable, gracious and pleasant) and My burden is light and easy to be borne.

Tenderhearted - eusplagchnos - adj
we're gonna go to definition 2.  compassionate, tender hearted (as opposed to 1. having strong bowels)

Root 1.  eu - to be well off, fare well, prosper
Root 2. splagchnon - kindness, benevolence, compassion, tender mercies.  a heart in which mercy resides.

Noah Webster:

Very susceptible of the softer passion of love, pity or kindness.  As in Be ye king to one another, tender hearted.

Forgiving - charizomai - verb
To do something pleasant or agreeable, to do a favor
To grant forgiveness
To give graciously

Root: charis
Grace

As I'm reading through this and thinking of all the grace I need… grace I need to give…

I thought of a few verses.

Luke 6:45 ….out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God and renew a right (steadfast) spirit (mind) within me.

David uses the word Bara the same word used in Genesis for create…

Create something from nothing….

Steadfast: Kuwn - verb
to be firm, stable, established

Psalm 19:14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.

Words and heart, they seem to go hand in hand.  Inward to outward.  What is in us comes spilling out. And for me particularly when I'm stressed.  When I'm squeezed the ugly comes out.  Nothing is right or Okay.   The House, Work, The Kids, The Husband, The Extended Family… it's all driving me crazy. And the words of my mouth aren't kind or tender hearted, towards myself or others.

I was reminded of something I read years ago in an old book.  Daily Strength for Daily Needs.  This is from February 10.

Do no be discouraged at your faults; bear with yourself in correcting them, as you would with your neighbor.  Lay aside this ardor of mind, which exhausts your body, and leads you to commit error.

Accustome yoursefl to gradually carry prayer into all your daily occupations.  Speak, move, work, in peace, as if you were in prayer, as indeed you ought to be.

Do everything without excitement, by the spirit of grace.  As soon as you perceive your natural impetuosity gliding in, retire quietly within, where the kingdom of God is.  Listen to the leading of grace, then say and duo nothing but what the Holy Spirit shall put in your heart.

You will find that you will be come more tranquil, that your words will be fewer and more effectual and that with less effort you will accomplish more good.

Francois Fenelon (1651 - 1715)

April 17th

Every morning compose your soul for a tranquil day, and all throughout it be careful to often recall your resolution and bring yourself back to it, so to say.  If something discomposes you, do not be upset, or troubled; but having discovered the fact, humble yourself gently before God, and try to bring your mind into a quiet attitude.  Say to yourself, "Well, I have made a false step; now I must go more carefully and watchfully."

Do this each time, however frequently you fall.  When you are at peace use it profitably, making constancy acts of meekness, and seeking to be calm even in the most trifling things.  Above all, do not be discouraged, be patient, wait, strive to attain a calm, gentle spirit.

Francis De Sales (1567 - 1622)


Do Not Be Discouraged.






No comments:

Post a Comment