Monday, October 28, 2013

Recipes for Fall

 
Ahhhhhh the it's here!! It's really here!! Cooler temperatures. Falling Leaves. Football Sundays. Fall Festivals. Pumpkin Carving. Early Evenings. Transition. Life gets into this transitional place where we nestle in. We slow down a bit. Linger under the covers. Snuggle under quilts. Cheer for our favorite team. Pull out those tried and true comfort foods of fall. Seasonal eating at it's finest because it's pumpkin ev.er.y.thing! And that's just how I like it!! {Big Grin}
 Pumpkin Bread I'll begin with a classic. It's an old Weight Watcher Recipe that I've Spiced up!
Ingredients:
20131009-170606.jpg
 
Box of Spice Cake Mix - I've tried others, this one works the best. 1 Can of Pumpkin Puree - or make your own, I do this a lot and freeze it when Libby's isn't available anymore 1/2 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice 1 teaspoon cinnamon - I use Roasted Saigon Cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon all spice - this kicks it up a notch You can add nutmeg if you'd like, but I've found this mixture works well. 2 Tablespoons Vanilla. (add nuts or chocolate chips or raisins too!)
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325, unless you have a convection oven (350). In a medium bowl blend cake mix and spices. Mix in the entire can of pumpkin. It will be thick and not all the cake mix will incorporate. So here's where you add the vanilla or milk or pumpkin spice creamer or ya know Dark Rum. Whatever floats your boat! Put the pumpkin glob into a well greased loaf pan. Smooth out. Bake for 35 minutes, check for doneness. This mixture is so thick and so moist it takes it a while to bake. After 35 minutes add 5 minute increments until a toothpick is clean. Let sit in the pan for about 10 minutes. Turn it out onto a dish and let it sit until cool. Slice. Serve and Enjoy with your favorite cup of coffee. About 12-14 servings.
20131009-170913.jpg20131009-171809.jpg
 
If you're me........ that means Pumpkin Spice Latte.
 
So I saw this in Instagram I follow a food blogger who posted a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Latte. I was intrigued, as I've tried nearly every recipe out there. Including making my own "syrup". I love PSL. There is a contest each year between me and my friend over who gets the first one, we call each other and gloat. Here is her Recipe. I of course in true Shelly Fashion (and because I just know from past experience these ingredients weren't gonna do it for me) tweaked hers a bit.
 
Ingredients:
20131009-170748.jpg
 
1 Can Carnation Evaporated Milk 1/3 C Milk 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice mix 1 pinch all spice 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 teaspoon instant coffee (I would normally use brewed coffee but I value sleep so I used Decaf granules)
 
Directions: Pour Evaporated milk into a 2 cup or larger measuring cup, add approximately 1/3 cup milk or to the 2 cup fill line. Add Vanilla and spices. Mix well. Pour into a sauce pan. Add Pumpkin (I'll be honest, I added too much, because of my love of pumpkin so maybe go with 1/2 Tablespoon). Scald The Milk. (but do not cool) Add to (double strength) coffee or espresso or use the granules. You're not exactly using this as creamer. If using granules you want to use 1-2 teaspoons in the bottom of your cup and add the scalded milk to the granules. If using brewed coffee you'll want to pour the coffee and the milk at the same time into the cup. I don't know why, but I can tell you that it's not the same as pouring one and then the other. 4 servings. (using an 8 oz. cup) I didn't use sugar in the milk mixture but I added a bit a sweet n low in my cup. Starbucks....I have your recipe down now, I'll be saving my $5! Well except for that first one!
 
20131009-170847.jpg
20131009-171819.jpg
 
Next is one of my favorite fall comfort food, filling yet low calorie {because I have to have pumpkin bread and lattes} one skillet meal. Serve with garlic bread and a fine wine! It's a recipe I adapted, ya know, tweaked a bit from the original recipe from Eating Well. If you haven't heard of this site.... run to it!! Sign up for the weekly newsletter! Tons of yummy and healthy recipes for all seasons, for all levels of skill, for even my picky eaters!

So I call this Gnocchi Goulash
 
Ingredients:
20131009-170703.jpg
 
1 Onion - Diced 1 Bell Pepper - Diced 1 Box Gnocchi 1/2 C Water 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil 1 Can Diced Tomatoes I use the Basil Garlic Oregano Blend 1 Can Tomato Sauce 1 Bag Spinach Parmesan Cheese
 
Directions: In a large skillet heat olive oil. Add diced veggies, sauté until translucent. Add gnocchi and coat it with oil, veggies. Add water and let the gnocchi plump. Add tomatoes. Lower the heat add spinach, as much as will fit. Stir or what I call flip the spinach into the dish so that it's evenly incorporated. Cover and wilt. Takes about 5 minutes. Plate up, add cheese and Enjoy! About 6 servings depending on how plump your gnocchi is and how much spinach you want.
 
 
20131009-170813.jpg
20131009-171828.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment