Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The One Where I Jump To Conclusions

I have come to the conclusion that I'm not built like a runner. I'm just not. 

I don't have long legs. 
I'm not paper thin. 
I could easily get a black-eye from running if it weren't for the "support" of two sports bras....one being a size too small to keep the 38 D's DOWN! 
I'm not tall. 
I run slow. 
I have curves - I'm a hippy chic. 

I'm not built like a runner. But I run. 

I have bio-mechanical issues with my non-runner body. 
I over pronate. 
I get super tight if I run more than 6 miles a week. 
I have small feet. 
I have a wide toe-box 
I have a narrow heel. 
Not a narrow foot. 
More like a foot shaped like a V 

I'm not built like a runner. But I run. 

I didn't know any of these things about myself when I started running. I just ran. I had aches and pains, but I see that has a challenge. And I run. I've learned a lot about what I can do and what I can't do. 

Without running being my full time job, I'll probably never run 13.1 or 26.2....walk maybe, but run, probably not. And that's OK. 

Since school let out I have joined a few friends to "run the bridge" MWF. The bridge is 4 miles. Some days I can run the whole way (as in have the time) other days I don't so I run as far as I can. I like running the bridge. I don't like getting up at 4:45. It's summer I want to sleep! 

My plan has been to do Galloway Training. And as plans go....well I haven't stuck to it and I am sore and tight. I get into a zone, I think I "can" run the bridge....so I "should" run the bridge. Instead of sticking to my plan, which would NOT include a 4 mile run 3-4 times a week. 

And I'm paying for it with my non-runners body. I'm sore and I'm tight. From my feet to my shoulders!!! Instep, Heel, Achilles, Ankle, Calf, Knee, (this idiotic) IT band, Hip, Shoulder. 

Yes it's very true I'm not built like a runner. And it's OK. And I'm still gonna run. These mammaries and short legs and small feet aren't gonna keep me from running. 

I didn't run Friday so Saturday I HAD to run. I needed to run 4.5 miles but ran 5. I had to stop a few times to tape up, to re-tie my shoes, to make adjustments. But honestly it was a good run!! I was sore, but a good sore. 

Monday though, I couldn't run. I walked but running was out of the question. My achilles/ankle hurt, to the point if I ran it would "run up" my leg to my knee. Yup Running was out. That's OK. I walked. 

Tuesday I did a BodyRock/GISG Workout. I went to Target, yes I know, not the bastion of running gear, but still I got a gel arch support and heel slip. I love my zip ties but I took them out and re-laced my shoes. My shoes were snug....tighter in all the right places, but I was able to move my toes!! YAY! But I couldn't run, I'm still sore. 

I think the issue is my shoes.....er.... my feet!! They are good shoes, but my feet are so......weird.....freakishly small (5.5-6) and squarishly V shaped that my feet move in my shoe, my heel slips, my arch is probably hitting in a different spot each time my foot lands. 

I don't want to get more shoes.....I have a PILE of running shoes at this point. So if I have to get more shoes....I am debating on getting Vibrams in hopes that they will at least FIT my feet. It seems that on amount of overpronation stability is helping my feet, so why bother, honestly. 

As long as I'm gonna spend a ba-jillion more bucks on yet more shoes, I may as well try something else. 

Whatever it is, I'm going to get to the bottom of it. Y'all know me!! 


WILL 
NOT 
QUIT! 

This body that isn't a running body. 
These feet that are freakishly small. 
These aches and pains. 

They are challenges to be overcome. 
Mountains to be climbed. 
Hurdles to jump. 

And I will overcome, climb, jump and R U N!!

No comments:

Post a Comment