Saturday, June 4, 2011

The One Where The Earth Moves Under My Feet

But the sky didn't tumble down. No it was a hot one yesterday!! 

The alarm went off at 5:30 and I hopped up and got ready. Had my coffee, made me a shake and gathered my things. 

Water 
Coffee 
Sunscreen 
IcyHot 
Knee Brace 

You know the essentials. 

I set the GPS to the race location and I was off!! At 6:30 it was already 75 degrees out! It was gonna be a hot day! 

I text to Alex (my oldest) and Jerome (my Dallas Team Leader) that I was on my way. I got down to the race site and parking was a mess!! I found a spot though and headed up to find Jerome. Alex was still on his way, but it was still early. 

As it ended up he got there with plenty of time to spare! YAY!! I picked up his number and his chip timer when I arrived and we were ready to go! 

I was so excited to see him, it had been a while! He's training for www.4deserts.comthis was his first race of the year! I got to run with my son! So so exciting! 

I was a bit nervous because I hadn't been able to run much, I didn't log many miles in May and this was my longest distance race to date. I've run four miles before, but not at White Rock. I didn't know the course or what to expect. 

Because I hadn't run much I set my pace at 14.30, hoping to beat it, but happy to stay there if need be. 

The gun sounded and we were off!! WOO HOO!! We ran at about a 9mm pace for the first 1/2 mile I said to Alex this is too fast we'd better slow down I don't know what's up ahead on this course. So we settled into an sub11 - 11mm pace. We finally came up to a water stop and I was seriously needing water. We continued on at an 11mm pace until the bridge! Oh Meh Gah 

Ummmm..... this thing is like trying to run away from an earthquake!! You have NO idea where you're foot will end up on your next step! Up or Down!! This this is wobbling all over the place, like a hammock!! Oh but it's concrete! And a big batch of craziness, about a tenth of a mile beyond the bridge is the turn around and then the it's up hill for quite a ways. 

This is where I nearly fell apart. I was still feeling off from the bridge and now I have to run uphill. And the water stop isn't for another mile. 

I had to take a few walk breaks just to get over the wobbling feeling! We carried on but at a slower pace. I wanted to go faster but I wanted to have the energy to finish so I slowed down considerably. sub 13 - 13mm. 

Alex was telling me to remember everything I'd taught him....breath normal, correct my posture and form. He was right I was practically bent over, not wonder my feet hurt. Plus I still don't have these zip laces correct. My foot was going numb, either from the tape or the laces. So with every step my foot on the up step would 'wake up' and on the down step 'go numb' quite the weird sensation. 

We made it to the water stop and I was feeling like I could carry on! 

We rounded the corner with 1/2 a mile to go and I was tired and we were on a slope that was very strange to run on. We had to maneuver our way around that and get to the end. 

Alex asked if I wanted to sprint to the end. I told him I could go a bit faster but I couldn't sprint. Mainly because my foot was numb!! At this point nearly completely numb! I was concerned I'd fall down! 

We finished!! Chip time 50:07!! Woo Hooo!!! Better than the hour I though it would take! We got some water and started looking for my friends. We found Jr Miller from The Ticket (a local sport radio broadcaster), Alex got his picture taken with him and we went inside for the results. 

I got a banana and we had an icee pop, ya know the tube kind. Ahhhhh it was super refreshing!! 

I found Jerome and his buddy Chris, I didn't see Amy but she said she left right after she finished. I saw her running though!! :D 

We headed back to the car and then home. It was 88 degrees at 9:30 on my way home! No wonder I was so hot and thirsty!! 

My next DRC race is a 10K July 2. I plan on running the 66 bridge quite a bit and also a training run out at White Rock, so I can conquer that bridge a few times before the race. My plan right now is to walk on it (during the race) if I can't get out there to train on it. 

I will definitely bring water. Probably my liter bottle. I generally drink 24 oz of water when I run 3-4 miles at home on the treadmill, so I'm gonna need more than what the DRC provided yesterday, for sure. Thankfully there was one water stop though!! 

Thankfully there were awesome volunteers!! :D 

I am sore today, but not as sore as I though I'd be. I iced down when I got home, my knees, my foot that was numb. Took a shower and went out for my grocery haul for the week! I love the look of a fridge stuffed with veggies!! 

Next thing to purchase is a fuel belt. Cuz I'll need something to keep me going on longer runs for sure. 

Now it's time to get ready for church; Hope y'all have a fabulous Sunday!! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment