Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The One Where I Run In The Rain & Get 3rd Place!

First off I've been training with a new group of people. I am a member of the Dallas Running Club, but I don't live in Dallas. I travel there for races, but that's it. So I'm not training with anyone. 

This year I joined my local running club, I did that after the Renegade Run. I'd been hesitant to join because most of the people I know are fast... like elite runner fast. But I joined because I could receive coaching. Something I think I need now that I'm training for a Half. 

I'm part of an FB group of runners who meets up to run at all times of the day and night. 4:30am, 5AM, 6AM, 9:30AM, 5PM, 6:30PM. And to my great delight, all paces, even my pace! 

I've been meeting up with some running mommas who started a local chapter of Moms RUN This Town. While they say/think they run a 11mm, I assure you they don't! But this is a good thing because it's pushed me to be faster, to go further and train better! 

My first 5K of the year I ran a 34.75 race! 
My second race was a 5-mile, I ran a 56.95 race! 
My third race was the Renegade. 5.15 miles in 63:40, with a lot of hills, this was my first RRC event and I did really well!! WOOT! 
My fourth race I ran a 33.56 5K, just seconds shy of a PR 
My fifth race I ran a 33.02 5K WOW! 
My sixth race this year was a 5K. 32.07 

Given that I'm getting faster with all the training I'm doing with the RRC mommas, I was happy with my run Saturday. 

Friday I had a great day. I met the MRTT moms for a run around White Rock. It was a cloudy day but nice. We started out for a run and were only doing 3, but that turned into 5. When we got to the furthest point in our run, it began pouring rain!! This is the first time I've run in the rain... and been this far away from my car. 

We had no choice but to run back!! It was a hard run the wind picked up and the lake effect was totally picking up. It was cold pelting rain. We had to slow down and walk a bit because the rain hurt our body. 

Up until that point here are the stats: 

Mile 1: 

AP 11.40 
FP: 10.05 

Mile 2: 

AP: 11.21 
FP: 9.48 

Mile 3: 

AP: 10.23 
FP: 9.19 

Mile 4 - walking 

AP: 13.02 
FP: 9.56 

Mile 5 - walking 

AP: 16.03 
FP: 14.30 

Here we are soaked after the run: 
 

Came home, took a shower, rolled and headed out for errands. 

Laid my clothes out for the next day and got in bed early, couldn't sleep....grrrr 
The race was fairly local, so I didn't have to get up at 4:30 which was nice. I got up around 6, had my coffee and breakfast, double checked all my stuff and picked up Jessica! 

We were off!! WOOT It was a chilly morning and I was concerned about the wind. It could be a good run or a miserable run depending on the wind. 

We were a bit early, so we sat in the car for awhile. It's a small race less than 100 people. It was gonna be fun! Another RRC member was the race director. She'd been telling us about this race for awhile. I was excited for her! 

I didn't know the course so I wasn't sure how well I'd do, my goal was 34-33-ish. 

We lined up and off we went! I was trying to run with Jessica but wow, she shot out of the start with a flash, I knew i couldn't keep up with her, but I tried to at least keep her in my sights. After a few turns though I realized 1) I wouldn't be able to do that and 2) if I was gonna finish this race strong I'd better slow down! 

Mile 1: 

AP: 9.27 
FP: 8.17 upon hearing the number 8 in my ear, I decided I must slow down! I was amazed at my pace and really I felt fine, but I didn't think I could keep this up for another 2 miles!! 

Mile 2: 

AP: 10.39 What?? How did THAT happen?? 
FP: 9.28 Again upon hearing 9 in my ear I decided again, I'd better slow down, I didn't know the course or what was ahead, so I slowed down a bit more. 

Still feeling fine, running with ease, I had my water and took a few swigs, I was neck and neck with another runner girl. I'd pass her, she'd pass me. I couldn't tell if she was a new runner or not, but she had spunk and seemed to be doing really well! I encouraged her each time we'd be side by side. 

Just as I got beyond the water stop I saw something shiny on the ground, I ran a step past it, but went back for it, I realized it's a DIME!! I knew that Coach Nancy would be proud!! 

I stopped during a race for a dime! 


Mile 3: 

AP: 10.44 
FP: 9.16 SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! This mile was particularly difficult because parents were getting to the school to drop kids off for soccer and track meets, I had to dodge quite a bit of traffic, cuz they were NOT looking out for me. I had a car nearly back out into me and a car nearly hit me navigating around our "route cones". 

I saw the sign for mile 3 and kept hearing my pace thinking this is KA RA ZEE!! I ran a little faster, but I didn't want to push it....grrrr I should have. It's like I have an invisible force that keeps me from sprinting to the finish! I have to change that, especially when I feel great!! 

Mile .13: 

AP: 9.52 
FP: 8.57 well I must have pushed some! LOL 

I saw the clock as I ran towards the finish 31:53 and some change! I tried my best to get across before it got to 32.... When I last glanced at the clock it said 31:55, but I'm to sure what it said as I crossed, that was a few strides beyond the clock. 

Jessica and I waited for the awards. Like I said, it's a small race and we had a little time to spare. 

They started with the mens stats and then onto the ladies. 

Lots of awards given out!! One runner girl won both overall female and first in her division. She's a high school athlete, so she didn't accept the award of free shoes, but picked up a medal! WOOT! 

Then onto the 20's, my friend won first place in her age group!! WOOT!!! She received a first place!! She ran a great race!! her time was 28.08!! Holy Smokes!! 9mm!! 

Then the 30's awards 

Then the 40's. First Place is announce!! She ran with a great time, something like 28-29. Second place is announced!! She ran with a great time, 30 and some change. Then is see Beth read the name and smile!! She looked right at me and said our third place winner is Shelly!! OMG!! I'm getting a medal!! I won!! I won!!

My official time was 32:00, that's a 10.32 pace!! 

I'm so proud!! So happy! Look how far I've come baby!! 

My very first race I ran in 38.01 12.29 pace. 
This weekend I have Bling!! Not customary handed out bling, but a medal I earned!! 


here I am with Jessica and Beth: 

 

here's my bling and my dime: 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment