Monday, March 16, 2015

I Am That Mom - Dating

In this age of social media and text messages and immaturity life can be painful, not only for the kids but for the parents.

Here's a brief history of this school year.   The kiddo started off the year with the same girlfriend (Girl 1) he'd had over the summer... when I say "over the summer" I mean they hadn't spoken since the end of the school year.   So there was lots of anticipation for their relationship status on the first day of school.

A few weeks into the school year she breaks up with him via a mutual friend (Girl 2).   I get it, they grew apart over the summer.  Her parents have strict (read: Good) rules.  No Social Media.  No calling and texting boys we don't know or know their parents.   All good.   However,  amid many attempts on our part to meet them it didn't come to fruition.

Then he "goes out" with the mutual friend, who breaks up with him publicly and "for no reason".  As any mom can imagine she's not on my "favorites" list.   This is followed by a string of other girls. We'll call them 3 - 6.  Much to my disapproval.

Right before Winter Break he's back with Girl 2, and then breaks up with her via a mutual friend (Girl 7) due to extenuating circumstances.

He and Girl 7 seem to hit it off and then Bam! Awkward public breakup at school and "for no reason".  Again, not on my favorites list.

There is no girl on my favorites list.... not because I think anyone is "too good" for my son but because he's at the tender age of 14.   His brain isn't fully grown or functioning.

As I had a recent conversation with some youth girls... the Bible doesn't mention dating only preparing for marriage.   To which she said she's waiting like the Israelites for God.   It was all I could do to say to her.  The Israelites wandered in the desert for 40 years because of disobedience.

Back to my kid... so there was a bit of an intervention after the last break up.  He chatted with his friends and youth pastor and agreed to stop the game of "monkey bars" for two months.   So at the end of April he can "date" again according to them.    I still think that 14 is too young and too much of am emotional time.  Not that anyone listens to me.

After Girl 7 and his behavior following, we took his phone privileges away for one month.  Once off restriction he broke the rules nearly immediately and now will be off social media indefinitely.

He isn't allowed to friend people he doesn't know in real life.  Not "passing in the school hall" type of knowing.  Real Life, he has classes with them, goes to church with them, they are a relative... yea cuz I Am That Mom!

He isn't allowed to talk on the phone with people he doesn't know in real life.... cuz I Am That Mom!

He isn't allowed to have a girlfriend, an official girlfriend until/unless:

1) We meet her parents
2) Her parents know she is dating, are okay that she's dating
3) Her parents want to meet my son and his parents

Not that I an enforce it:
4) Over 16 years old
5) Is driving
6) Has a job.

I'm not paying for your dates.... cuz I Am That Mom!  

No comments:

Post a Comment