Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The One Where I Tell You My Plan

Several people have asked me how I lost the weight.  What was my plan? What do I do now to maintain? I began on SparkPeople on 1200 calories a day. With 3 meals and 1-2 snacks. As I was more educated, learned more about what worked for me, I changed a few things up.  I lost from 145 pounds to 122.  I've fluctuated over the years but I generally hover around 125.

I wanted to up my game though.  I didn't want to gain through half marathon training this time.  I wanted to get to what I consider a "good race weight" and learn how to fuel my body better. So, I went to see a Sports Dietician.  LOVE HER!! Much much love to her.   Eve Pearson with Nutriworks CNC (Comprehensive Nutrition Consulting).  She got me back on the right track.  Back to the basics. 

She figured my BMR, took measurements, talked to me about what foods I consume, came up with a plan to reach my goal.  Even through the holidays I lost or maintained the loss I had. I encourage everyone to see her.  But if you can't here's a few tips I've learned from  her.

 I found this site to be helpful in figuring your BMR FreeDieting The Calorie Calculator is pretty accurate to the figures Eve helped me with. Use the middle number for Fat Loss.  Just ignore the extreme fat loss number, let's be honest, it's restrictive and something you won't keep up with in long term.

So you've got your number.  (let's say it's 1500)

Divide it by 4:  375

Divide that by 2: 187 

I consume 5 meals a day. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are 375 calories
Mid-Morning and Afternoon Snack are 187

Meals should include a carb, a protein and a (good) fat. Snacks a carb and a fat or a carb and a protein.  Don't eat naked carbs!

Use a tracker like SparkPeople or MyFitnessPal for nutrition and exercise.

However, I caution you from getting in the mindset of "I exercised today, so I can have all those calories."  You'll only maintain where you are now.

I'm not a fan of cheat days or cheat meals.   It's all about choices.  Not good or bad.  But fuel or non-fuel.  How will this effect my run? My digestion? My sleep? This isn't a diet, it's how I live.  Eat Sleep Run Repeat!

If you go over your calories, use the top number the Maintenance Number for your goal.  For instance a party or special occasion and consider it a maintenance day.

Now for exercise and snacks:

If you exercise for under an hour; you change nothing you stick to your caloric allotment.

If you exercise for over an hour; you add in one additional snack

If you exercise over two hours; you add back all the calories you burned. This includes 2-a-days. 
Let's say you went to the gym in the morning worked out for an hour, then in the evening you ran 5-6 miles.  You'd consume all your calories burned.

I hope this helps you on your journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment